Saturday, February 26, 2011

Python update

Lady Luck is facetiously unpredictable yet I was finally granted some good fortune tonight.  The snakes had not been overly active, being restricted by the torrential downpours that plagued the Tablelands daily.  The past few days had been dry, and I was hoping for a better night of spotlighting.  I have seen the most snakes around the main Centre, often walking the 3 mile trek through pristine rainforest seeing nothing only to come back to find several snakes on the side veranda.  I decided tonight to check out several of the buildings on site, as abandoned or rarely used dwellings provide excellent habitat for rodents and skinks (and subsequently snakes). 

My first stop was the “greenhouse.”  Though more of a tent than a building, this area contains an old shed, some tin, mulch, and plenty of optimal microhabitats.  Outside the greenhouse was a large mulch pile with two Eastern Small-eyed Snakes perched on top, one small female and one extremely robust male 28” in total length (very large for this species of elapid).  A very good start.  I walked into the greenhouse examining rows both to my left and right.  Ten yards in, I caught something in my periphery.  I glanced left…Carpet Python!!!!  I sprinted the 20 yards down the row, around the end, and back up again.  My first wild python!  What a gorgeous specimen as well.  This 65” male had classic northeast Queensland coloration (yellow and block mottling), retaining juvenile-like markings.  I reached down to grab this magnificent serpent, strike!  He was not nearly as excited to see me as I him.  I eventually corralled the uncooperative python (not without getting nailed in the calf first) and moved him to a different location to take photos.  About an hour later I released this snake, enjoying watching him slide off into the rainforest as much as I enjoyed our initial encounter.  I returned to my cabin content, and write this with high hopes for tomorrow and my next blog.